Monday, May 30, 2011

Back to wrecking me 'ansomes

Bank holiday monday dawned in typical fashion...............cold, we and drizzly.  So whats new there then.

Well at about lunctime it started to clear up and this mysterious yellow ball appeared in this unusually blue sky..........Well, I'd better crack on and do something to the lada then!!!!:-)

First job was to remove the top edge of the drivers wing that I'd left in place last time.  Plan A was to try and drill out the spot welds.

When that failed, breaking a drill bit in the process (What do they weld with in Russia?) It was back to good old fashioned hammer and chisel!!!!!!


With that done (taking a bit longer than I thought) It was time to have a go at the other side.  It had to be done sooner or later and as you will have seen from an earlier post......they were done sooner than planned.

Now, I had planned to go softly softly and try and remove the passenger wing with the hammer and chisel.................Yeah right after about 15 mins out came the angle grinder again.


As on the other side, the inner wing where it meets the sill is in quite good nick, and not a pile of rusty powder as was expected (and suggested by other forum members)


The removed wing in its various componant states.............which means it came off in about 5 bits.


Now I should have expected this, since the other side was the same, but it was still a big disappointment to discover that the front of the passenger side inner wing was shot.


Look mum..............daylight.

And it gets worse around the front........will definatly have to do something there.......plan B time me thinks.......

Yeah..............definatly plan B............which is to decide what plan C will be

Well, time to button up for the night as I was getting cheesed off by this point.  Look mum, matching blue covers



Weather permitting, I need to get out there with the wire brush, curerust and red oxide primer and match it up to the other side.  Provided I've enough curerust and primer left.

I've definatly got to stop putting off attempting to use the welder (practice) as I am running out of jobs to do without needing parts!!!