Wednesday, June 1, 2011

No wonder Welding is so bloody expensive

I've been putting it off and putting it off, but I couldn't put it off any longer.  I've had to have a go at this welding lark.
Following a link from the Lada forum, I found this site

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

After looking at the tutorials, there was nothing left but to grab the wing I cut off yesterday and "have a go" ............with mixed results.


Now my first mistake (I've since found out) is that I am using an arc welder.  However, cosidering the financial situation and it was loaned free of charge, I can't really complain.
If the object of the excercise was to blow holes in the metal...................I'd have done really well!!!


I did manage to get some actual welds.


Ad here.


Not looking quite so bad from the "wrong" side.

Photobucket

Try welding 2 bits together I was told (from the guy who I borrowed the welder from)  You might find it easier.


A little bit better.


On the positive, although it is not a very nice looking job, I did actually manage to stick one bit of metal to the other without it falling off.  To be fair this is the standard of welding that was already on the car and the guy gave up.

 
Copyright AdamG

Not sure what he was welding with be it mig or arc, but it is very rough and lumpy. Bottom line is that piece has to be cut out and I'll have to start again